Monday, May 17, 2010

Day 14 Uh-oh, Jesus forgot something!

Children are unrelenting balls of energy with their own personalities, agendas, and hearts bursting with joy. Their imaginations never stop, until stifled. I do everything in my power to encourage creativity and free thinking in my kids. I aim to never just shut them up, but hear them out no matter how crazy it sounds to me. They are a little person and deserve to be heard just as much as I do... maybe even more.

You see, when they have an idea nothing stops them them from blurting it out- we tend to censor ourselves and that particular part of a kids brain doesn't exist until they are tainted by the world and made to think that what they have to say isn't as important to everyone else. I hope my kids know that what they have to say and think is of utmost importance to me. That way when they get older they have a good sense of themselves, free to express and articulate the way the feel and think inside.

I was walking Josiah to school one day and we passed by a church with a wooden cross displayed in the front yard. The cross had a white piece of cloth draped over it, which to us Christians symbolizes hope of the reserrection. For Josiah initially it meant nothing, but he stopped and stared at it. He said "Mom! Jesus forgot his scarf- we'll have to take it to Him in Heaven." I said "Don't worry Joey, He'll be back for it." "Cool, mom", yeah, really cool.

Love,
me

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! What an awesome way to think! And, I agree. I try really hard not to stifle my kids no matter how off the wall his stories seem to be, but sometimes it's really hard! Must strive to see the flipside!

    ReplyDelete