Monday, May 10, 2010

Day 7

“This is the transcript of an ACTUAL radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995. Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations 10-10-95. (This is an apocryphyal story, but still useful for illustration.)

Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.

Canadians: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

Canadians: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES’ ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, THAT’S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call.”

I have little to add to this as it has rendered me speechless. Lord speak to me.

Love,

me

3 comments:

  1. Oh we can be so stubborn!!! You know some people would actually direct themselves to crash right into the lighthouse just to avoid admitting they are wrong. They would rather take the hit and even hurt others along the way. That is what happens to me when I dont let God lead my course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your input Raya, it's always cool to see how many different perspectives can come from one thought:)For me this spoke to my self importance and how I need to keep my identity as a Christian but still respect those around me and love them no matter what their beliefs or lifestyles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This compliments your story:
    There was a very strong storm that came upon a small town. Though, the town priest wasn't worried. He believed that God was going to save him.
    The waters rised and soon he had to climb up to the roof because the water was too high.

    Later, a rescue boat arrived. They called for him, but he replied back, "Do not worry, I will be saved by God!". So they went away and left him alone.

    It was still raining very hard. Then, a helicopter came to save the man. He said to them, "Do not worry, God will save me!". So they again went away and left him alone.

    The waters rised even more and the poor priest drowned. In heaven the priest asked God, "Hey! Why didn't you save me from the storm?!".

    God replied, "I sent a boat and a chopper, did they come?"

    ReplyDelete